YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Friday 28 January 2011

WAXWINGS still at Wyevale, Marlow

I thought I’d check out the Marlow Waxwings this lunchtime, as the presumed pre-roost flock I saw yesterday seemed a little depleted, maybe 50-60 birds. There was no sign of them on the poplars near the Wyevale, so I tried the industrial estate just over the A404. A small flock was immediately obvious feeding on cotoneaster berries adjacent to the A404 near Forth Avenue, I counted 42 birds, but these were joined by another 30+ briefly, before they all took off towards the adjacent housing estate. A quick drive round and I found a largish flock feeding on what looked like old crab apples in Peacock Road. Shortly afterwards, they were flushed and flew off back towards the A404. I then found a further 10 nearby, which also flew off towards the A404. A quick drive again and birds were found on the slip road next to the fire station before they flew off back to the poplars opposite Wyevale. Here it was easy to count 84 birds, so I guess this is the total flock, but there could be break-off flocks feeding nearby. The birds are not feeding in these poplars, except on a few rose-hips beneath occasionally, but seem to come here to rest up, certainly for pre-roost and maybe post-roost judging by early morning records. They have also been coming down from the poplars to drink in puddles at the entrance to the Wyevale, but these are now drying up.

Adam Bassett