YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Saturday 28 April 2012

GREY PLOVER at Dorney Lakes

By way of a change I thought a visit to Dorney Lake was a good idea. Not the best place to visit in steady rain as there is no shelter, so full waterproofs were called for in the steady rain.

My decision to visit there was soon justified with four Wheatears on the causeway, two of which were probably of the Greenland race. Walking further down the causeway I then found a Common Sandpiper and then heard a distant wader call. I saw something flying away which may well have been a Greenshank but I could not be sure. I then located 3-4 Redshank to the south of the return lake in the reserve area. While scanning this area I came across a winter plumaged GREY PLOVER, a species I have only seen in the county on a few occasions, so a great find. I managed a few rather distant photos which are now on the BBC website.

The seasonal pool held about 60 mainly immature large gulls, plus two Shelducks.

Lots of Swifts and Swallows about, plus a few House Martins. Number increased while I was there. Also several Common Terns fishing.

Walking back along the causeway, I had just about got back to the start line when six Ringed Plover, flying in a tight flock flew in low as though to land but few off again. Maybe my presence put them off. I then found two more Wheatears at nearby Dorney Common and another two by the pumping station.

Worth getting wet for.
Jim Rose