YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Saturday 14 April 2012

COMMON REDSTARTS in Marlow 13/4

A quick morning visit to LMGP found little of note – plenty of Common Terns in now though.

I decided to check out Pump Lane for yesterday’s Wheatear and Corn Bunting and also drew a blank. I then checked the paddocks at the north end of Pump Lane to the east of the Three Horse Shoes, an area I watch too infrequently. First birds I saw were a pair of Wheatear and 4 Fieldfares. 10 minutes later and another 2 Wheatear appeared, then a flash of red and quivering red tail and a fantastic male COMMON REDSTART was on the fence posts. Whilst trying to grab some record shots, another red-tailed bird hopped onto the ground – a female Redstart – Wow! Should come here more often.

For anyone going, the male Redstart in particular is showing really well feeding off the exposed fence line. Walk about 50 yards along the footpath on the east side of Pump Lane just past the Three Horse Shoes pub. The path drops into a valley at the bottom of which is a a pile of debris surrounded by a square of fence posts – the Redstarts were around here. I stayed at the top of the path looking down into the valley to avoid disturbing the birds.

Adam Bassett