YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Sunday 14 November 2010

There was a huge gull roost at Foxcote this evening, the biggest that I have ever seen at this site in 15+ years. Having delayed the WEBS count until late in the day, unfortunately I didn't have the time to go through the gulls but I counted 860 LBB gulls and estimated 3500 black-headed gull, 150 common gull and 50 herring gull. Another birder leaving the site as I arrived at 15:15 said there were a couple of yellow-legged gulls and a glaucous-type (his words) gull, but I didn't see either.There were still gulls flying into the reservoir as I left at 16:30, so I suspect that they were all going to stay and roost overninght.

In addition 43 mute swan, 435 wigeon, 25 tufted duck, 213 coot, 42 gadwall, 23 shoveler, 7 great-crested grebe, 2 little grebe, 6 pochard, 7 goldeneye (2m), 15 mallard, 14 teal, 33 cormorant, 1 lapwing and a male mandarin duck roosting with the wigeon on the north shore.

If you haven't visited Foxcote recently, the water level is still really low leaving large areas of exposed muddy shoreline. I suspect that this may explain the relatively high numbers of dabbling duck (e.g. gadwall and shoveler) and the low numbers (compared to previous years) of tufted duck and pochard. It might also explain why the ring-necked duck has deserted the site as it wasn't seen again today and I think hasn't been seen for some weeks now (Bill Parker)