YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Monday 1 November 2010

30 October - CASPIAN GULL at Calvert

Decided to check out the gull roost at Calvert this evening and so a stopoff at Gallows Bridge is an added excuse these days. I pulled up at the entrance and as soon as I got out the car there were birds everywhere, all along the entrance track hedge and flying up from theadjacent stubble field. They were mostly Chaffinches but, to my delight, also a few TREE SPARROWS. I managed to perch up on top of the gatepost and scan the flock as they dropped back into the stubble and soon realised there were more sparrows than I first thought. At least 18 were on the ground or in the roadside hedge but there were probably more hidden. It's many years since I've sen this number in Bucks. This field looks superb at the moment with a large flock of Linnets, Starlings and Skylarks. It would be nice if they attracted Tim's Merlin back again for the winter. The pools and main field were quiet with just a few Fieldfare and 100 LesserBB Gulls. A flock of c300 Golden Plover and 400 Lapwing were in flight over Grendon Underwood.

I moved on to Calvert where the gull roost was starting to build up in front of the 2nd hide and included at least 5 Yellow-legged Gulls. I was joined by Warren Claydon who soon found a CASPIAN GULL in the flock. It was quite adult like but the bill markings and dark in the primary coverts showed some immaturity so was probably a fourth winter (Rob Andrews)