YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Wednesday 10 February 2010

MERLIN at extreme north of county

This morning at Olney Meadows the pair of COMMON STONECHAT were still present in the area around the pond. Also a pair of COMMON RAVENS were in the sheep field at the west end before flying off down the river valley.

Nearby at Emberton Park there were 12 GOOSANDER (only 2 drakes) on the lake by the sailing club.

At lunchtime I took a walk from Ravenstone North End to Ravenstone Great Wood. This area looks superb for birds of prey with a lot of rough grass areas, and on my walk down I saw 6 Buzzards, 2 Kestrels and a fantastic MERLIN which circled right overhead. There were also 5 Grey Partridge, 10 Bullfinch and a Marsh Tit. A Fox and a Fallow Deer topped things off (Rob Norris)