YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Friday 12 February 2010

Highlights from today

The juvenile GLAUCOUS GULL remains at Calvert BBOWT (per Tim Watts)

Hampden Manor Woods: Still no sign of the shrike reported recently and initially a walk through the woods didn't produce anything. On my way back I scanned the field that lies south of the first fir plantation along the path. So I was looking east back along the south side of the plantation. In a line of decidious trees that runs north south out of the eastern end of the plantation were a couple of finches high in a dead tree. I got my 'scope on them and eventually realised they were COMMON CROSSBILLS, a pair. The male was on the top most branch just surveying the scene while the female was more active and appeared to be feeding under the loose bark. I got some very distant (smudgy) photos (@ circa 350 yds) (Dave Cleal)