YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Friday 23 April 2010

CMK BLACK REDSTART

After getting an excited call from Mike Wallen early morning telling me of the massive fall of Wheatears on the Beacon , I quickly headed to CMK to see if we were going to be lucky in this Chat bonanza.

Immediately on arrival, I noticed two male NORTHERN WHEATEARS in the long grass , a few more scans seemed to imply no more were lurking , I was just about to leave when a familiar shape suddenly alighted on an upturned cable drum, and I exclaimed to Ben , who I happened to be on the phone to, that I had a Redstart species ! - 30 seconds later and there was a female BLACK REDSTART sat in the scope ! Wonderful start to the day , luckily Rob Hill was only 2 minutes away , and he was able to see it briefly before going to work.

Work kept me out of the county all day , but a quick stop at Stony Stratford Nature reserve this evening had 2 Oystercatchers , 1 Kingfisher and 1 Chiffchaff (Simon Nichols)

Other bits and pieces , 2 Shelduck , 4 Common Sandpipers and 5 Common Terns at Willen early AM ( Nik and Rob )

Swift , Mandarin and 3 Common Terns at Bradwell Lake this evening (Chris Bird)